Determining an individual's exposure must take
into account Pollution Sources, the impact of prevailing wind and other
meteorological conditions, and the location of the responding individual with
respect to the pollution sources and meteorological conditions.
Information will be added to this page as it becomes
Pollution Sources include:
- Aircraft Emissions
- Ground Service Equipment Emissions
- Emissions from Motor Vehicles in and around the
- Noise Pollution Sources
- Businesses near the airport
- Rent-a-car agencies
- MA Turnpike, MA Highway maintenance facilities
- Fuel distribution centers
- Central Artery Tunnel constructions
Obviously, it is a challenge to differentiate the sources originating within
Logan Airport, and those outside the airport.
Location of individuals and pollution sources.
Data and tools will be used to determine by location the individuals' exposure to
pollution sources, These include:
- The Global Positioning System (GPS). This is system that uses 24 earth
satellites to determine the exact location of an object within 100 feet. It is
potentially useful for determining the neighborhood boundaries, and for
determining internal and external control groups.
- Meteorological Data, provided by government agencies, will provide wind and
other air current information.
- Flight pattern data, based on actual radar tracking of flights.
Return to Top of Page